Sunday, September 19, 2010

Response to Sean Huze

Response to Sean Huze
When it comes to war, I have always had mixed emotions. In some ways I think that we need it because if we didn’t fight for our country, we will lose it and our freedom along with it. On the other hand, I don’t agree with killing innocent people. Throughout war many children and people die that don’t deserve to lose their lives so early.
Reading the play, “The Sand Storm, Stories from the Front” by Sean Huze, really confused my emotions even more. I do not know anyone who has been in war, so I have never really understood the horror these men and women go through. I understand why they are there fighting for us and I know how it can benefit us. I just cannot comprehend how any person can lay fire on children and their families.
This play gave me a better understanding at how being in war can really mess with a person’s emotions. They are there to do a job and in order to stay alive they must put their emotions aside. But what makes me sad is that these people being killed are also just trying to protect themselves as well.
I imagine to keep from going crazy while fighting, a person has to make reason for the horrible things they do. In the play, CPL Waters said how he felt that since the Iraqi’s had not given his friends mercy, he need not give any mercy to them (Huze 9). How does a person reason enough with themselves to stand there and watch a man suffer and smile in victory?
I think if I had to choose to be either for or against war, I would choose to be for it. I really believe that we would not have the freedom we have today if it had not been for all the men and women who have fought for it. I just wish there were some way to keep the innocent lives out of it. I guess that is just the price of our freedom.

Works Cited
Image URLhttp://webspace.webring.com/people/et/trcrowder/
Huze, Sean. “The Sand Storm: Stories from the Front.” 2004.Susan Schulman Literary Agency.2004
Here is a site that gives a look at a positive to the war in Iraq

http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/a-friendship-beyond-the-battlefield/article30452.html

No comments:

Post a Comment